So after watching the movie "The Business of being born", we were convinced that there were some errors in most hospital deliveries. I've always heard of women in our church having home births, but never was interested or considered it. I guess this documental movie showed some truth and opened my eyes to having another option.
As I look back at all three of the labor and deliveries I've had, I know there could have been an easier less painful way to help me. It could have been effectively less stressful if I had knowledge of what the Doctor's protocols or convenience were.
Anyway, I looked further into researched and received the testimonies of mother's that have had homebirths...I was encouraged. I am nervous but excited at the same time! Here are some of the benefits I anticipate with this new homebirth method:
1. A trust and bond with my husband as he coaches me through a rough time.
2. Some relief for my back as I get in a pool of water.
3. The comfortability of being in my own home on my own bed and having my own space.
4. The quietness of not being in a busy hospital and not having interuptions or disturbances.
5. Not having an IV the whole time I'm in labor!
6. The option of having calmness in the room with candles, music, low lighting..etc.
7. Being able to be in different positions to further the birthing process.
8. Being able to use other methods of pushing to help the birthing canal without an episiotomy.
9.The patience of the midwife as I let the birthing process take it's natural time without any rush.
10. The experience of catching my baby in my own arms and bonding with it right away.
11. Not worrying about getting home safely and adjusting to home after a hospital stay.
12. The post-natal care I will receive at home instead of going to my appt.
13. Being certain of who is delivering my baby and knowing that I am in good care with my midwife who knows me.

Other reasons for using homebirth midwife:
ReplyDeleteHomebirth midwife, a good one, is trained and knowledgeable so that use of pitocin or induction methods is prevented.
Pitocin can cause strong contractions that affect baby negatively and may cause hemorrhaging from mom..thus leading to emergency csection..
Midwife can suggest other means to help with mom deal
with labor pain ... ie water , positioning, relaxation methods to prevent anxiety, fears in mom which can prevent natural endorphin release which greatly helps with labor pain..
Use of natural pain relief is better option for moms who doesn't want to deal with unforseen symptoms of epidurals given in hospitals which include slowing of labor and hypotension..
Use of epidural increase chances of use of forceps/ vacuum and C-section because of reason mentioned above
see any article in Mothering magazine about above..